How to store a wedding dress for safe keeping using a special clothing preservation archival box.
Basic Tips Breakdown
- Clean & dry the dress first. This can be spot clean if the garment isn’t that dirty or if it is delicate and/or vintage. Otherwise spend a pretty penny at a dry-cleaner that specializes in bridal gowns.
- Wash hand before handling or wear clean white cotton gloves.
- Short dress – place bodice in box first, long dresses – align the middle of the dress with the centre of the box.
- With each fold remember to place a layer of acid-free tissue paper to protect the dress from touching other parts.
- Stuff tissue in bodices that have shaping so they don’t become flattened.
- After wrapping store and keep in a cool, dark place like under a bed or closest. Not a basement or attic!
- Take out your dress every year or so to avoid creasing and check for stains that may have appeared.
Photos by: Hattie Root Photography, Victoria BC
Flowers by: Brown’s the Florist, Langford BC